Monday, December 28, 2009

I Finally Broke The Da Vinci Code

Homework
I have decided to take on a homework assignment during my time off during the holidays (work is closed!). I am going to try to watch something I have not seen before every day ... well every other day maybe. I'm not going to push it.

Today, I took on my first assignment. I am watching The Da Vinci Code

Starring: Tom Hanks and the chick from Amelie, Ian McKellan and Alfred Molina
Year Released: 2006

Let's see. I started trying to watch this movie back in 2006. I was at a conference for work in Cambridge, Maryland and there was nothing to do in the area so I was stuck at the resort, 2 hours outside of D.C. in crappy, rainy weather. I didn't mind so much as I can occupy myself reading or watching tv or playing on the internet (mind you these were the days of Myspace, not facebook so no Bejeweled Blitz to occupy my time LOL). The hotel did have a cool feature of having recently released movies available in room. So The Da Vinci Code was one and I was so excited to see it. I bought it to watch and fell asleep within 15 minutes. I had the movie for 24 hours and still couldn't get past those first 15 minutes.
This really bugged me. I loved this book. LOVED this book. As soon as the movie was on DVD, I asked for it for Christmas. I believe it was 2007 at this point. I finally watched it. Tonight. Two years and 3 days after receiving it. After all of the times it's been on cable and TNT, I finally watched it.
My grade:B-
As always, I loved the book way more than the movie. I did like the movie in that it brought the book back to me as I had forgotten a lot of what had happened. I just wasn't that thrilled about the movie. It was alright but it might have been better. I'm not good with words and I'm not sure how it could have been better but I'm fairly certain it could have been better. It's possible that Tom Hanks's hair distracted me a lot too. I enjoyed that the best. He wasn't as bad as I originally thought he would be as Robert Langdon. The end was obviously very good as it was in the novel. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Angels & Demons. I liked that book even more and I've heard that the movie, in some ways, is even better than The Da Vinci Code.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have Angels and Demons on DVD...interested? There are stipulations though...:)

Heather said...

Of course I'm interested...what are the stipulations?? ;)