Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yes He Did!

I haven't had a chance to put into words how I feel having watched the first African-American to become President. He has a hard job ahead of him but I think the world is behind him. I saw this picture via a person on Twitter and I think the photo itself says it all.
From Time Magazine:



The Hopes of a Nation: Residents of Kibera, one of Nairobi's poorer quarters, gather around a television to watch the first black president in US history take his oath of office. (Time Magazine)
Unbelievable that a village gathers around a single small television to watch this historic moment.
One of my friends said to me on inauguration day, "Heather, isn't it wild that Emily is going to grow up not knowing what it was like to wonder if we would ever have a black President?" She will never know that. As my friend also said, it's kind of like us with women voting. Yes, we know that women couldn't vote at one time but you never really understand it because you don't know what that was like - in my lifetime, women have always been able to vote and therefore it just seems like a history book lesson - it never seems real that there was really a time that women couldn't vote. This historic day will be much like that to her.

No comments: